When you are done with my Thanksgiving dinner….
You believe that you cannot eat another bite of anything in your lifetime.
The button on your pants is about to fly across the room like escargots in a Julia Roberts movie. Slippery little suckers.
You can hear the grommets on your chair weep for reprieve from the extra weight of your rapidly expanding bod.
But that’s what stretchy pants are for.
Oh, you don’t wear them all year long at dinner?
Anyway, this is a perfect serving size dessert that will help save your pants buttons. And your chairs. And your love life.
And if you are still clinging to the belief that Martha Stewart might stop by your house to make all of your dreams come true and hire you as a recipe developer so you can quit your day job…
Use some leftover cranberries to make pretty napkin rings.
Perfect portion little tarts….
If you don’t eat six of them.
At the same sitting…
- 2 cups finely crushed gingersnaps (about 30 cookies)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2⅔ cups water
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⅓ cups sour cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 recipe Double Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 24 sugared fresh cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together crushed gingersnaps and melted butter; press onto the bottoms and up the sides of eight 4-1/2-inch individual tart pans. Place tart pans on a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in dried cranberries. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In another medium saucepan combine sour cream, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, and salt. Stir in the water-cranberry mixture. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and the ½ teaspoon orange peel. Spoon evenly into prepared tart shells. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Spoon Double Vanilla Whipped Cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe whipped cream onto the tarts. Remove tarts from pans; if desired, garnish each tart with three sugared cranberries and additional finely shredded orange peel. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine whipping cream and vanilla paste. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft mounds form. Add powdered sugar; beat on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- Combine ½ cup sugar and ½ cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in cranberries until well coated. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to wire rack; let dry for at least 1 hour.
- Working in batches, roll cranberries in remaining 1½ cups sugar until well coated; let dry for at least 1 hour.